lwl-general

[lwl-general] LWL GPL

From: Rick Parrish
Subject: [lwl-general] LWL GPL
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:22:53 -0500

Dear Sir;

I am currently using LOG4CPP in a slew of commercial products. LOG4CPP is licensed under the LGPL which permits this. LWL however is licensed under the GPL which prevents me from incorporating the code into products sold for profit.

LWL has a simpler interface. I'd like to start using it but the GPL licensing strategy puts it at a competitive disadvantage relative to other free libraries like LOG4CPP.

I humbly request that the author of LWL take this into consideration. If you read Richard Stallmans' article http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html titled "Why you shouldn't use the Library GPL for your next library" he outlines where this exact scenario is an appropriate application for the Lesser GPL.

In any case, I thank you for an excellent library and am grateful to have it available for my purely GPL'd projects.

Regards,
Rick Parrish