Re: [Linphone-users] Push notification using ip 74.119.146.37

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Push notification using ip 74.119.146.37
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 19:08:52 -0400

Adam Chasen via Linphone-users <address@hidden> writes:

> 'Doze mode' and other aggressive android application shutdown have
> increased the importance of using Google's push messaging solution (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebase_Cloud_Messaging) over long lived
> connections. As I understand it, certain SIP softphones will register with
> additional parameters indicating how to send messages to Firebase
> specifically to you phone so the SIP server can send a "wake up" message to
> your SIP app if there is incoming data for the SIP connection such as an
> incoming call.

Yes, that's what I meant by out-of-band proprietary thing.

> Gory details of PUSH options are: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8599

Yes, and that also seems to describe an IETF approach that isn't
actually used.

> I have not seen a solution which registers your SIP account on your behalf,
> but that would be handy to have if the upstream SIP server doesn't have
> push notification features.

proxy to deal with push, in front of asterisk which doesn't have push
support.

But, I don't know of clients that start using a proxy you didn't
configure.

There is also the notion of fixing your phone to not have doze problems,
or choosing a phone that runs an OS where you can configure things
(e.g. Lineage) and then using a client which sleeps and can still get
incoming messages.  As I understand it baresip works just fine in this
mode.  In non-SIP, Conversations (XMPP) and K-9 (IMAP) similarly work
well.