Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliab

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliable with TCP vs. UDP
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 09:31:09 -0400

On Sun, 2019-03-31 at 09:14 +0300, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> I charged my Android 7.1

My understanding is that Oreo is even more aggressive with doing things
to save battery than Nougat did.  Mine is on Oreo and is obviously
going into network silence (except for push traffic), but I don't know
if that is standard Oreo or my phone manufacturer being even more
aggressive than standard Oreo.  It would be interesting to see if your
experiments work equally well on a standard Oreo phone.

> phone in the evening and let Wifi on and
> baresip running.  In the morning about 12 hours later without
> touching
> the phone, I made call to its baresip account. Phone was ringing and
> was able to answer the call.

Nice.

> Then I checked what had happened to battery.  Baresip had used 3%,
> Phone
> Idle 3%, Android system 2%, ..., and WiFi 1%.  Battery also reported
> that at this rate there is 3 days left.

That's impressive.

> Based on this, push notifications don't make any sense whatsoever.
> They
> just add complexity and delay and are a security and privacy risk.

I wouldn't disagree, in the case where the phone remains on the network
the whole time it's sleeping.  Mine doesn't.  I wouldn't be surprised
if mine isn't the only one doing that and that more and more will be
doing so in the future.

Cheers,
b.