Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliab

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliable with TCP vs. UDP
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 09:01:49 -0400

On Sat, 2019-03-30 at 14:38 +0200, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Brian J. Murrell writes:
>
> Brian,

Hi Juha,

> I don't have that kind of problem with baresip, that uses foreground
> service instead of push notifications.

Is your phone pingable after it goes to sleep (screen off and then wait
a few minutes) with baresip's foreground process running?

How about if you stop baresip's foreground process and do the same ping
experiment.  Does it still respond?

What version is your Android?

> The phone can go to sleep and
> baresip the application can even be terminated by wiping it off and
> still it answers calls over tcp or tls without issues.

If your phone, natively -- or perhaps it's baresip that is doing it --
keeps the network stack (wifi) running while it's sleeping, then yes,
TCP will still work reliably.

But I think shutting down wifi when going to sleep is part of Android's
newer battery savings strategies.  Maybe it's new in Oreo.

> Baresip's
> foreground service stays alive until the phone goes to power saving
> mode
> when the battery is about to run out.

But if it's keeping wifi running when your phone would normally want to
disable it (except for port 5228 for FCM) then your battery is not
going to last as long.  How is your battery life without baresip
compared to with it?

What percentage of battery is your phone reporting baresip using?

> So what you describe is Linphone's, not TCP's, fault.

I disagree.  Linphone is not controlling whether the phone disables
wifi when it sleeps, and it shouldn't.  Linphone should cooperate with
the O/S it's running on, not try to circumvent it.

Waking the phone's wifi up with a push, as a trade-off for battery
battery life is exactly what should be happening, IMHO.  At least
that's what I want.

I just want all of this FUD about UDP to stop.  It's unnecessary and I
believe for probably all but a small number of situations (never say
never) untrue.

Cheers,
b.