Re: [Linphone-users] what is "Enable service notification" exactly?

From: Christopher Woods
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] what is "Enable service notification" exactly?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 23:07:03 +0000

Yep, that's right - it's a helper service which runs as a keep-alive and prevents Android from suspending / killing the core Linphone process while it's backgrounded. Quite a few apps have adopted this approach since Android altered how it handles apps which require background notifications or establish sockets for things like VoIP.

Push notifications and background services were a bit of a mess a while ago (https://medium.freecodecamp.org/why-your-push-notifications-never-see-the-light-of-day-3fa297520793) and unfortunately on some flagship devices are still a mess without an active notification service handling the background tasks.