Re: [Linphone-users] [Fwd: linphone-2.1.1 build completely broken on fre

From: Al Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] [Fwd: linphone-2.1.1 build completely broken on freebsd 7]
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:46:45 +0100

On Thursday 10 April 2008 17:19:08 Michael Grigoni wrote:
> Al Johnson wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 April 2008 16:13:08 Michael Grigoni wrote:
> >>***   To Simon   ***
> >>
> >>Please configure the mail server to build 'reply-to' headers so that
> >>replies go to the list and not to the poster ;)
> >
> > Please don't - the List-Post header works a treat ;-)
>
> In my mailer, replies go to the poster ('from' header) if no 'reply-to'
> exists.  In order to post replies I need to 'reply-all' and then manually
> edit the addresses, which takes many clicks and keystrokes.  A 'reply-to'
> header is canonical and easily implemented.

There's a bug in your mailer ;-) It's an old, well-rehearsed argument that
pops up on every list sooner or later. My view of it matches this one:

http://www.karnaugh.za.net/2006/04/Reply-To-mangling-IS-a-bad-thing!.html
Not everyone agrees, usually because their mail client ignores the List
headers rather than provide a 'Reply to List' option. Views tend to be fairly
entrenched, so we may as well agree to disagree, and let Simon decide.