Re: [Linphone-users] [Fwd: linphone-2.1.1 build completely broken on fre

From: Al Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] [Fwd: linphone-2.1.1 build completely broken on freebsd 7]
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:05:40 +0100

On Thursday 10 April 2008 09:37:36 Mark A. Flacy wrote:
> On 04/10/2008 12:18:19 AM, alex wrote:
> > Can I suggest the author remove the "Reported to work on FreeBSD and
> > OpenBSD" from their website, this is clearly false. It works ONLY
> > after
> > a lot of patching and hackery from what I hear. As far as I am
> > concerned, as long as the program dependencies are met, the program
> > should compile cleanly, this is simply not the case, and this is due
> > lack of testing. Clearly there is a also lack of interest from the
> > author in supporting systems other than linux and windows.
>
> If it bothers you sooooo much that the author doesn't have the time or
> resources to support your favorite system, maybe you could step up and
> lend a hand.  Or make a fork of the project; it is open source.

Sounds like a perfectly legitimate request with a bit of frustration behind
it. I have no doubt there were reports of an older version working with *BSD
but now we have reports that it no longer does. The complaint is that the
claim is inaccurate and should be corrected, not that the author doesn't
support the platform.