Re: [Linphone-users] Problems with voice (alas, not quite) resolved

From: Zbigniew Baniewski
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Problems with voice (alas, not quite) resolved
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:39:04 +0100

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:52:42AM +0100, Simon Morlat wrote:

> > > Yes but one part of problem is that linphone is playing and recording
> > > sounds in the same time (full duplex mode). Simple applications like
> > > play/rec or whatever multimedia player don't do that.
> >
> > Can't believe, that OSS does not support full duplex mode of operation.
> > Is it really so?
> Of course not all oss drivers. Some of them only.

It seems, it's not the problem with the half/full duplex capability of the
drivers.

There wasn't any problems, when I was using SB-Live! with ALSA drivers, as I
wrote already - but I'm trying now ALSA drivers for GUS-PnP. Skype's working
fine - but there's still the same old problem with Linphone: the party can
hear me, I cannot hear them.

In both cases they were calling me from "ordinary" phone. I suppose, there
is something wrong probably in GSM codec, which needs improvement. To say
exactly: I can hear *something* - but it was just kind of mechanical noise,
which is suggesting, that it's problem with proper decoding rather than with
full/half duplex.

Besides: not just Skype is using that ALSA drivers for GUS-PnP without
problems; I tried XTen-lite software-phone, and it works as well (same
hardware, same drivers) - there's surely something wrong in Linphone's code.
Could be possible to fix it?
--
                                pozdrawiam / regards

                                                Zbigniew Baniewski