Re: [Linphone-users] ALSA devices, selecting

From: Simon MORLAT
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] ALSA devices, selecting
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:17:11 +0100

Hello,

You seem to be an ALSA expert, surely you have many things to teach to me !
In fact I never understood all this stuff of plughw and so on in alsa.
I've written some code (that'I ve mostly taken from examples on alsa-howto), and hopefully it mostly works. I wasn't aware that asoundlib was able to mix several streams together. Is it also possible when mixing sounds that have different sampling rates? One thing I can do quite easily is to start a specific command instead of directly playing the sound. The ring_start() function of linphone would then fork a process, and restart it once it exits, and then kill it when ring_stop() is called. With this you would be able to set the forked command to "artsplay mymusic.wav" or "aplay mymusic.wav" or whatever you want.
Perhaps you have other suggestions.
I'm waiting for your answer.
Thanks,
Simon

William Pettersson wrote:

I've gotten linphone running just fine under debian, with the ALSA
drivers.  However, I had wanted linphone to play a ringtone even if I'm
using the sound device anyway.  I've set up my soundcard so that this is
possible, using dmix in my .asoundrc file to define a new default
device.  From this, I can now have xmms playing a song, and running
'aplay /usr/share/sounds/linphone/rings/orig.wav' successfully plays the
ringtone on top of my currently playing music.  However, linphone seems
to ask for the plughw device for the ALSA device.  This would be normal
for the actual communication, maybe, as it might require direct access
for real time full duplex audio operation.  But is it possible to select
a different ALSA device from the one soundcard, to have many sounds at
once playable?

Thanks
William