Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4539 in lilypond: Set the sequence name in MID

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4539 in lilypond: Set the sequence name in MIDI using title information from \header block
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 17:09:13 +0000

Comment #14 on issue 4539 by address@hidden: Set the sequence name in MIDI using title information from \header block

Why would you default to an empty string rather than "control track" here?

Since the purpose of this change is to give a name for the MIDI sequence using the information from a \header block, I just thought that the name "control track" would be a very odd default name for a MIDI sequence if no suitable \header block from which to query the name is found. If there's no name given for a MIDI sequence in the input file, I wouldn't like the application to invent one for me (especially a "technical" name such as "control track"). Would some other default than the empty string (such as "unnamed") work better?

I guess that the point of the request for this enhancement is that the string stored as the name of the first track in the MIDI file may get displayed in some form to the user by various MIDI synthesizers (and it wasn't possible to change the name from within the input file) – for example, timidity 2.13.2 outputs the following information when it starts to play a MIDI file created using LilyPond 2.18.2:

Playing A.midi
MIDI file: A.midi
Format: 1  Tracks: 2  Divisions: 384
Sequence: control track
Text: creator:
Text: GNU LilyPond 2.18.2

Note the "Sequence: control track" line, which displays the name of the MIDI sequence. (The "Text:" lines come from additional text events that get always stored into the first track of the file by the Control_track_performer.)

Another example that I've seen is a digital MIDI piano which, when given a disk with LilyPond-generated MIDI files in it, will display (in a small LCD panel) the contents of the disk for selection not as file names, but as the sequence names stored in the MIDI files on the disk. The result was a list of MIDI sequences all called "control track", making the selection of the file quite difficult...