libreplanet-us-wa

Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Proposed local action from tonight's meetup

From: Andrew Kane
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Proposed local action from tonight's meetup
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 17:58:07 -0800

On 11/20/2016 04:28 PM, Alex Jordan wrote:

Hi Alex, and thanks for the writeup. I've added some further information
and responses inline.

> Seattle local government is interested in bringing municipal network
> access to low-income residents

Specifically this is a body called CTAB, the Community Technology
Advisory Board. For some reason they have two different websites:

http://www.seattle.gov/community-technology-advisory-board
http://ctab.seattle.gov/

> Currently they're looking at negotiating with large ISPs

Further information:

http://ctab.seattle.gov/2015/03/12/position-statement-low-income-internet-access/

I find this document... somewhat amazing.

> It would be awesome if they went with Seattle Meshnet instead
>
> Problem: where to get hardware from? FreeGeek model? (unsure, since
> that had problems when it was tried independently)

Arguably the biggest problem was a single-point-of-failure; this can be
avoided by decentralizing.

> Problem: cjdns is more difficult to install and set up than other
> things like B.A.T.M.A.N. - this is an arbitrary/artificial problem but
> still would require time to fix (e.g. cjdns build system is weird and
> homegrown + cjdns itself can't be apt-get install'd)

It doesn't need to be fixed unless someone specifically wants to
implement cjdns, in which case they will likely have or can obtain the
ability to build & install cjdns, which is not terribly difficult and is
reasonably well documented.

After all, if I can do it...

> Person #2 will send something to local govm't no matter what
>
> Proposal: if we can keep momentum going, we could co-author a
> proposal/letter on LibrePlanet wiki and get a ton of local free
> software people to co-sign (not just LibrePlanet WA members)

I've written up a preliminary draft. Hope no one minds.
Here's the link:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Seattle_Neighborhood_Networks_Project

Sorry about the name, we can change it later if someone comes up with a
better one.

> Person #1: for CryptoParties, should we tack on to another
> organization like TA3M? Or do it ourselves

Both IMO. Certainly it should go outside LibrePlanet WA since there's
only 10 or so people there. TA3M meetings usually have more people than
that, and a lot more *different* people at each meeting.

> Ann Summy may be on CTAB (the local government committee) - Community
> Technology Advisory Board

Nope, these are the current members:
http://www.seattle.gov/community-technology-advisory-board/meet-the-board