libreplanet-us-wa

[Libreplanet-us-wa] Proposed local action from tonight's meetup

From: Alex Jordan
Subject: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Proposed local action from tonight's meetup
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 16:28:45 -0800

Okay!

For those who weren't at the Elysian yesterday night, here's something
resembling meeting minutes to get an idea of what we discussed (all
names omitted as some requested anonymity):

Seattle local government is interested in bringing municipal network
access to low-income residents

Currently they're looking at negotiating with large ISPs

It would be awesome if they went with Seattle Meshnet instead

Problem: where to get hardware from? FreeGeek model? (unsure, since
that had problems when it was tried independently)

Problem: legitimacy - how can we prove that our stuff will work? Point
to Europe meshnets

Person #2 is interested in building infrastructure to
install/configure meshnet routers, but lacks funding

Problem: they'll want someone with a track record (not just an MVP) -
Person #2 suggested getting some people from HP involved (not
necessarily HP itself)

Doesn't Lee Fisher know people?

Problem: cjdns is more difficult to install and set up than other
things like B.A.T.M.A.N. - this is an arbitrary/artificial problem but
still would require time to fix (e.g. cjdns build system is weird and
homegrown + cjdns itself can't be apt-get install'd)

Person #2 will send something to local govm't no matter what

Proposal: if we can keep momentum going, we could co-author a
proposal/letter on LibrePlanet wiki and get a ton of local free
software people to co-sign (not just LibrePlanet WA members)

Person #1: suggests weekly CryptoParties and going beyond the usual
Signal + Tor + PGP to stuff like Seattle Meshnet

Person #1: we should take advantage of the Trump shitstorm

Person #2: it's important to have the right color of the bikeshed but
we have to have someone to paint it

Person #1: for CryptoParties, should we tack on to another
organization like TA3M? Or do it ourselves

CryptoParty ads in newspaper?

In any case CryptoParties can teach about free software

Venues: TA3M has contacts

Different venues are nice for reach out to different communities

"Joint TA3M/LibrePlanet WA project" makes sense for CryptoParties

Let's get Mako and Salt on board with the meshnet proposal

Ann Summy may be on CTAB (the local government committee) - Community
Technology Advisory Board

We want both individuals and organizations on board with this

ACTION ITEM: Person #2 will upload whatever he's going to send to
libreplanet.org and send a link to the list

ACTION ITEM: Person #1, Person #3 will review ^^^ that proposal

ACTION ITEM: Person #4 will review the proposal whenever he's
recovered from wisdom teeth surgery

WRT CryptoParties, we could switch between beginner/advanced topics
each week or have two going at once, venue layout and volunteer
manpower permitting