Re: eiffeltest, .in and .out files

From: Paolo Redaelli
Subject: Re: eiffeltest, .in and .out files
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 09:06:51 +0100

Il 11/12/23 01:35, Jakub Pavlík ha scritto:
Hi,

as a newcomer to Eiffel (some learning attempts did take place years ago, but didn't bear any useful fruits) I soon found myself looking for what the standard library has to offer for automated tests. I came across https://wiki.liberty-eiffel.org/index.php/Eiffeltest#File_handling and tried writing tests with the *.in files providing input and *.out files specifying expected output, but neither have any effect. Output different from the .out file doesn't make the test fail, contents of the *.in file are not fed to the test's stdin and the program is waiting for interactive input instead. I tried to find code responsible for the functionality, but didn't find anything. Is the wiki outdated / lying, or am I missing something?

Minimal example of .in and .out files having no effect here https://github.com/igneus/try-eiffeltest

Tested Liberty Eiffel version: current head of https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/liberty-eiffel.git 's master branch.

Thank you for raising this issue.

It is a perfect bug report.

I actually never used this feature of eiffeltest; in the tests there is just one ".in" file, namely test/lib/numeric/number/test_number07.in

According to its test ( https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/liberty-eiffel.git/tree/test/lib/numeric/number/test_number07.e ), it explicitly opens the input file.

In fact I have briefly inspected the source code of eiffeltest and I have not yet been able to find the actual logic implementing the handiling of in and out files.

As this is a feature that is quite useful, I've emitting a bug report about it (see https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?65016 )

I hope to be able to implement this soon.

Thank you for your attention,

    Paolo