Re: Signaling suboptimal implementations

From: Patrick Cloarec
Subject: Re: Signaling suboptimal implementations
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 09:38:29 +0200

Hi Paolo,

Do you mean "signal it at compile time" ? Like the "obsolete" keyword ?

I would rather open an improvement request in Savannah bug tracking list.

Patrick

Le 6 avril 2022 21:54:02 GMT+02:00, Paolo Redaelli <paolo.redaelli@gmail.com> a écrit :
How can we signal sub-optimal implementations?

I'm reviewing the string cluster in order to remove the bug in deep_twin
and I discovered that ROPE.infix "<" is currently O(n^2) while almost
anyone will expect it to be O(n).

To achieve O(n) performance I would use iterators. But "new_iterator"
allocates a new reference object. It is not wise to allocate subobjects
in such basic features.

I wish to signal this, ideally during compilation.

I'm putting a note in the feature description but I'm wondering what's
the best way to manage this issues.