Re: Noob First Post

From: Paolo Redaelli
Subject: Re: Noob First Post
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 11:44:42 +0100

Il 25/11/21 19:50, Raphael Mack ha scritto:
Hi,

oh, this is much traffic on this list. Very nice :-)

Actually there was some activity years ago, but without active users it
was not really fun anymore to continue developing Liberty. You know how
it is with free software projects without paid developers, if we can't
keep the contributors motivated (by whatever means) it will eventually
die. I for myself did not yet decide to finally leave and still have
interest but there is also a real life...

That said, I would be happy to resurrect LibertyEiffel, but I cannot do
it alone. Even more these days, as I professionally quit from software
developing I might be more attracted/motivated to work on it in my free
time. So if anyone is interested I'd be happy to not have paid the
domain fees for nothing :-)

And you are not alone!

I think I must now explain why I have been so absent in recent years: I'm going for a degree in Computer Engineering. In fact when I started university I has two feasible paths: Civil structural engineering and IT.

I chose civil engineering, mainly because I wanted to help my father in the firm of our families but also because I wanted to be keep the fun of hacking, to maintain the freedom of choosing which IT tecnologies to follow.

But Times They Are A Changing, so I started studying for my second degree in Computer Engineering. Now I've got only 4 exams left. But this effort adds to a full-time 10h/day work and real life.

Initially I planned to use Liberty Eiffel for my final exam, as I discovered that Bertrand Meyer has some tiers with my university (Politecnico di Milano). Today I'm not sure I could as it seems that the final exam is Java-centric.

I want to keep having fun in programming and Liberty Eiffel is my joy.

I must admit I've been distracted by far too many issues lately.

I will strive, despite all other commitments I have to devote at least an hour a day to Liberty from now on.

Cyril Adrian had made a wonderful job on the compiler. Perhaps it is time to let the world know it and make some "modern", online tutorials.

I once wanted to add the "convert" features to the compiler, but spreading Liberty is perhaps better.

And adding GTK support