laptopkernel-devel

[Laptopkernel-devel] Re: patchit

From: Sebastian Henschel
Subject: [Laptopkernel-devel] Re: patchit
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 11:37:24 +0200

hi stephan and rest..

Received at 2003-06-04 / 09:09 by Stephan Skrodzki:
> Am Die, 2003-06-03 um 14.33 schrieb Sebastian Henschel:

> > ok, i kind of made something up. get the pre-version from
> > http://www.kodeaffe.de/laptopkernel/laptopkernel-mod-pre1.tar.bz2

checkout the update:
http://www.kodeaffe.de/laptopkernel/laptopkernel-mod-pre2.tar.bz2

> a) add the possibility for different config files. I could imagine, it
> would be fine, to download a kernel patchset and then to do a patchit -f
> acertm800
>
> b) (add on to a) add the possibility to also put a kernel config for a
> dedicated system somewhere. I know this is quite delicate, as kernel
> configs are half personal / system settings and half hardware settings,
> but it could be a good starting point for a new laptop.

seems useful and easy to implement with the shell: done.
there is now a directory config/ which contains one subdirectory
for each system. a system-directory contains 2 files:
- pconfig for the patchset config
- kconfig for the kernel config

the kernel config is copied to SRC/.config, with a backup copy made in
case .config already exists. afterwards an invisible "make oldconfig" is
issued in SRC/ .

currently, there is only one system shipped: default. i wonder if it
would be a good idea to ship many configs with the distribution. for
now, i suggest to include everything we can get and decide on its
"bloatness" later (and perhaps publish a download area for the configs).
btw, feel free to make changes to the default config and send it back to
me. :)

> c) (add on to a and b) add a version of the patchit config file and the
> config file, so that people could see wheter it "fits" the patchset it
> is delivered with. I could imagine, that it would not be possible to
> include all actual patchit configs for all endsystems to the kernel
> patches, but once again, it would be a good starting point. perhaps
> patchit should then just print out, if there are patches in the patch
> tree, which are not mentionen in the config file, neither in the install
> or in the "not install" part. So that the user could change the config
> file.
>
> so, with alltogether a improved patchit.conf or <systemname>.conf file
> could look like this:
>
> <system_name>Acer Travelmate 800</system_name>
> <version>laptopkernel-mod-pre1</version>
> <comment>Beware: I am working with /devfs, so check the
> kernelconfig</comment>
> <patches>
> <include>
> swsup
> acpi
> </include>
> <exclude>
> xfs3
> </exclude>
> </patches>

hmm, sounds reasonable. the problem is, that i do not want to parse xml
files with standard shell utilites. has anyone of you experience with rxp
or another command-line tool for xml, something that uses libxml?

> c) yes, if you have the time, why not provide a conflict management.
> Unfortunately it is not so easy to describe. An easy starting point
> would be to describe just tuples of patches which would not cooperate
> with like "swsup xfs3" or so...

hmm, let's wait for the opinion of others as well.

cheers,
 sebastian
--
::: sebastian henschel