laptopkernel-devel

[Laptopkernel-devel] patchit

From: Stephan Skrodzki
Subject: [Laptopkernel-devel] patchit
Date: 03 Jun 2003 18:17:17 +0200

Am Die, 2003-06-03 um 14.33 schrieb Sebastian Henschel:
> howdy folks..

> ok, i kind of made something up. get the pre-version from
> http://www.kodeaffe.de/laptopkernel/laptopkernel-mod-pre1.tar.bz2

> any more features wanted? for instance, do you think a conflict management
> is really necessary? i mean, in case a user makes an error in the
> configuration file by e.g. specifying swsusp _and_ xfs.

Hi Sebastian,

nice work so far. It is quite usable but I would recommend the following
additions:

a) add the possibility for different config files. I could imagine, it
would be fine, to download a kernel patchset and then to do a patchit -f
acertm800

b) (add on to a) add the possibility to also put a kernel config for a
dedicated system somewhere. I know this is quite delicate, as kernel
configs are half personal / system settings and half hardware settings,
but it could be a good starting point for a new laptop.

c) (add on to a and b) add a version of the patchit config file and the
config file, so that people could see wheter it "fits" the patchset it
is delivered with. I could imagine, that it would not be possible to
include all actual patchit configs for all endsystems to the kernel
patches, but once again, it would be a good starting point. perhaps
patchit should then just print out, if there are patches in the patch
tree, which are not mentionen in the config file, neither in the install
or in the "not install" part. So that the user could change the config
file.

so, with alltogether a improved patchit.conf or <systemname>.conf file
could look like this:

<system_name>Acer Travelmate 800</system_name>
<version>laptopkernel-mod-pre1</version>
<comment>Beware: I am working with /devfs, so check the
kernelconfig</comment>
<patches>
<include>
swsup
acpi
</include>
<exclude>
xfs3
</exclude>
</patches>

c) yes, if you have the time, why not provide a conflict management.
Unfortunately it is not so easy to describe. An easy starting point
would be to describe just tuples of patches which would not cooperate
with like "swsup xfs3" or so...

Hope I got it all...

Regs
 Stephan