laptopkernel-devel

Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts

From: Sebastian Henschel
Subject: Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:33:43 +0200

howdy folks..

Received at 2003-05-30 / 15:13 by Stephan Skrodzki:
> Am Fre, 2003-05-30 um 09.03 schrieb Bernd Wurst:

> > If we get more patches in, we have to make indiidual patches for ourself, I
> > recognized that so far. :-)
> > But I'm scared about confusing users as long as there is not such a script
> > available yet.
>
> ok, let me and Sebastian think about a suiting script, and after that is
> done, we could get on with single patches...

ok, i kind of made something up. get the pre-version from
http://www.kodeaffe.de/laptopkernel/laptopkernel-mod-pre1.tar.bz2

it only includes acpi + swsusp + supermount for now.
you can specify a linux source directory and you can reverse a
previously applied laptopkernel-mod.
any more features wanted? for instance, do you think a conflict management
is really necessary? i mean, in case a user makes an error in the
configuration file by e.g. specifying swsusp _and_ xfs.

for hanno/bernd:
is it possible to get the patches mentioned in the announcement individually?
i mean, you must have extracted them somehow from gentoo, lycoris, -ac etc.
as for the radeon-driver: i rsynced with benjamin's tree and diffed that
against a vanilla rc6 and it contained a lot more than just the radeon
driver. how did you extract the radeonfb from that?
as for swsusp: i patched swsusp b19 on top of acpi and then swsusp19-22
on top of that and then each incremental patch til 19-27. i had three
rejects altogether: one trivial in the journalling code, one in acpi
which looked weird and got deleted and one for pcnet32 which looked
more complicated and got deleted, too. did you do the same or did you
work on the pcnet32 problem?
as for p3/p4 optmization: where did you get that?

again for all:
so beware if you actually try to _use_ a kernel generated from _this_
laptopkernel-mod. :)

cheers,
 sebastian
--