info-press

[GNU/FSF Press] GPLv3 and the future of the free software movement

From: Peter Brown
Subject: [GNU/FSF Press] GPLv3 and the future of the free software movement
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:37:59 -0500

Boston, Massachusetts, USA - Thursday, March 2, 2006 - The Free Software
Foundation announces details of its annual associate members meeting, to
be held at MIT, Cambridge MA, on Saturday April 1, 2006

Richard Stallman and Eben Moglen have scheduled keynote speeches
covering GPLv3 and the future of the free software movement, during the
annual Free Software Foundation meeting in Cambridge MA, on April 1,
2006.  "As we expected, 2006 is proving to be a pivotal year for the
Free Software Movement. With the release of the GPLv3, we have brought
to focus the debate on the threats posed by Digital Restrictions
Management, Software Patents and Treacherous Computing. Our community's
efforts in the months ahead will help set the tone in the battle for
computer users' freedom." said Peter Brown, FSF Executive Director .

In its fourth year, the annual FSF Associate Members Meeting has become
a sounding board for the activities of the Foundation, and the sharing
of ideas with the community. At this year's meeting, FSF Board Member
Henri Poole will launch a members forum, an effort to elicit organizing
ideas and identify tactical actions to move the fight for free software
into the mainstream. Henri Poole said, "The GNU Project achieved the
bulk of its success by staying committed to a philosophical manifesto,
coordinating interoperability, and supporting the passion of free
software activists to write code. Now we support the passion of our
people by moving the free code into all areas of government, business,
home, and personal devices."

Details of this year's meeting are now available, along with
registration details at http://www.fsf.org/associate/meetings/2006

About the Free Software Foundation:

The Free Software Foundation, founded in 1985, is dedicated to promoting
computer users' right to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute
computer programs. The FSF promotes the development and use of free (as
in freedom) software - particularly the GNU operating system and its
GNU/Linux variants - and free documentation for free software. The FSF
also helps to spread awareness of the ethical and political issues of
freedom in the use of software. Their web site, located at www.fsf.org,
is an important source of information about GNU/Linux. Donations to
support their work can be made at http://donate.fsf.org. Their
headquarters are in Boston, MA, USA.

Media Contact: Free Software Foundation <address@hidden>
Phone: +1-617-542-5942