identica-mode-devel

[Identica-mode-devel] [RFC] multi-account handling.

From: kevin . granade
Subject: [Identica-mode-devel] [RFC] multi-account handling.
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 22:39:28 -0500

Hi all,

I've been pondering adding multi-account support to identica-mode for a
bit now, and I think I have a workable plan, but I wanted to run it by
everyone else before getting too deep into implementation.

Basic concept:
object-ify the key configuration and state variables so we can put them
in lists and iterate across them.

So for example the data currently in identica-username,
identica-auth-mode, statusnet-server, identica-timer-interval,
identica-timer, identica-new-dents-count would all be encapsulated in an
object, called identica-account, and each time a user adds an account, a
new instance of this object is created and placed on a list.
Identica-mode functions would then iterate across this list instead of
referencing the configuration variables directly.

I was initially thinking of replacing all of the variables listed above
with a identica-add-account method or something similar, but then I
realized that we probably don't want to force everyone to updqte their
configuration, especially if they don't care about the multi-account
feature.

I'm wondering if this would be acceptable, leave all of those
variables intact, and optionally mark them deprecated, and have logic
that pulls the data from them into an identica-account object when
identica-mode is called.  This way no one has to change their current
configuration, but there's a deprecation path, and we can add multiple
accounts.

A similar approach could also be used to object-ify the state variables
for a given stream, so one could for instance open a user stream without
closing their friends stream.

Let me know what you think,
Kevin Granade