Interesting paths when building octave 7.1.0.

From: Montgomery-Smith, Stephen
Subject: Interesting paths when building octave 7.1.0.
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 20:42:54 +0000

I maintain the octave package for FreeBSD.  I recently upgraded to
octave 7.1.0.  I found something rather interesting - it creates a bunch
of files whose names are:

/usr/local/bin/share/octave/7.1.0/test/fixed/xxxxxxxxxx/tbcover.m

where the xxxxxxxx is derived from the directory in which the build
takes place.  In my case, xxxxxxxx would be
usr/ports/math/octave/work/octave-7.1.0.

This makes it very difficult to create a package manifest listing all
the files, because the manifest will be different depending upon where
the build directory takes place.  My current solution is to simply
delete all these files after installation.

My questions:

1.  Can I delete the whole directory share/octave/7.1.0/test?  Or is it
used after the package is built?  If not, what is the purpose of these
tbcover.m files?

2.  Could the makefiles be changed in future versions of octave so that
these files are installed in a predictable place, just like they were in
previous versions of octave?

Thanks, Stephen