Linear regression with uncertainties of the independent variable

From: Jose Ramom Flores das Seixas
Subject: Linear regression with uncertainties of the independent variable
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 21:53:20 +0100

Hi:

I need to fit some data to a line, (xi,yi), using least squares, taking into account that both the dependent variable (yi) and the independent variable (xi) have uncertainties. The uncertainty is the same for all xi, but varies for different yi. Is there a function in octave that allows this adjustment to be made?

The "LinearRegression" function in the "optim" package allows to fit the data taking into account the uncertainties of the dependent variable, yi, but ,if I understand correctly, it does not consider the uncertainties of xi.

Cheers

Ramom