RE: Octave does not start

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: RE: Octave does not start
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 13:43:27 +0200

Am 22. September 2021 um 12:35 Uhr schrieb "David Remans":
> Hi Markus,
>
> Here is small recap of the current status, still the GUI does not show:
>
> I uninstalled Octave 6.2.0, and deleted all remaining files and rebooted the
> computer.
> I downloaded the installer for Octave 6.3.0 and installed this version
> (installation for all users)

Could you please also check with a nightly build of Octave 6.3.1 from
octave.space? You can download installers for those from here:
https://buildbot.octave.space/#/download

> I do have admin rights on my machine.
> For antivirus I use default windows defender. I tried all steps below with
> and without deactivating windows defender.
>
> - I can run a general VBA scrip like  "hello world", I can also run this
> script from the Octave directory : C:\Program Files\GNU Octave\Octave-6.3.0
> - When I start the GUI from the start menu shortcut, nothing happens
> - When I start the GUI from the start menu shortcut as administrator, I get a
> pop-up from windows to allow execution of the octave.vbs --gui script. After
> I allow execution, nothing happends
> - When I run Octave.bat in command window, this runs well (see attached
> screenshot), I can create variables etc in command line
> - When I use CMD to run the octave.vbs script It seems to run the script (but
> GUI does not open). To test I added a line at the end of the script to show
> GUI MODE, and I get proper output.
> - When I open Octave CLI from the start menu a command window opens with only
> a blinking cursor. (see attached screenshot) in the title balk it mentions
> "Octave-gui.exe"
> - Using CMD I search for GNU file see attached screenshot for returned info.
> (I also attached the content of the file, changed the extension to .txt to
> allow transfer)

Thanks for that.
The fifth column of the output for "dir /x" shows the short file name
corresponding to each file or folder if they are available. (That would be
something like "GNUOCT~1".) It looks like that column is empty for you. That
probably means that short file names have been disabled for that partition.
Could you please try and change the installation directory to a path that
doesn't contain spaces? E.g., "C:\Octave".
Does that allow the GUI to start?