Re: Octave: error message when using symbolic package v2.9 with octave 5

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Octave: error message when using symbolic package v2.9 with octave 5.2
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 18:20:09 +0200

Am 20. August 2021 um 17:25 Uhr schrieb "Constantinos Frangos":
> I have installed the symbolic package v2.9  with octave 5.2 (and with
> python3, sympy1.8 on ubuntu 20.04.2).
>
> There is an error message shown below. Any suggestions on how to correct
> the problem would be appreciated.
>
> (I tried the command sympref reset but obtained the same error message.)
>
> Thank you.

See also this open issue for the symbolic package with sympy 1.7:
https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/issues/1035
And this for sympy 1.6: https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/issues/1023

Afaict, you need to downgrade to sympy 1.5.1 for current versions of the
symbolic package.

Citing cbm in the latter issue:
> For now I think you'll need to downgrade sympy, something like `pip install
> --user sympy==1.5.1`

HTH,
Markus