Octave: error message when using symbolic package v2.9 with octave 5.2

From: Constantinos Frangos
Subject: Octave: error message when using symbolic package v2.9 with octave 5.2
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:25:01 +0200

I have installed the symbolic package v2.9  with octave 5.2 (and with
python3, sympy1.8 on ubuntu 20.04.2).

There is an error message shown below. Any suggestions on how to correct
the problem would be appreciated.

(I tried the command sympref reset but obtained the same error message.)

Thank you.

CF

....:~/octave> octave --no-gui
GNU Octave, version 5.2.0
Copyright (C) 2020 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
octave:1> pkg install symbolic-2.9.0.tar.gz
For information about changes from previous versions of the symbolic
package, run 'news symbolic'.
octave:2> pkg load symbolic
octave:3> syms x1 x2 x3
Symbolic pkg v2.9.0: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 28, in <module>
AttributeError: '_PrintFunction' object has no attribute '__globals__'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<stdin>", line 12, in octoutput_drv
  File "<stdin>", line 54, in octoutput
  File "<stdin>", line 55, in octoutput
AttributeError: module 'sympy' has no attribute 'compatibility'
Closing the Python communications link.

error: Python exception: AttributeError: '_PrintFunction' object has
no attribute '__globals__'
    occurred in python_header import block.
    Try "sympref reset" and repeat your command?
    (consider filing an issue at https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/issues)
error: called from
    pycall_sympy__ at line 191 column 5
    valid_sym_assumptions at line 38 column 10
    assumptions at line 82 column 7
    syms at line 97 column 13
octave:3>