Pkg install error internal compiler error

From: Manuel Zerobin
Subject: Pkg install error internal compiler error
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 00:09:24 +0200

Hi to the community,
I am having problems running the following command: >> pkg install -forge io statistics control struct optim“.

My device is a MacBook Pro running Catalina macOS 10.15.7 and I have GNU Octave, version 6.2.0 installed.

My goal is to get Octave running to be able to use Dynare. First, I updated Homebrew. Then, I installed Octave using Homebrew via the Terminal which did not result in any errors. Then, I run Octave via the command „octave —gui“ and it opens just fine. In order to use Dynare I need to install the statistics package executing the following command ">> pkg install -forge io statistics control struct optim“.
The resulting error is the following:

>> pkg install -forge io statistics control struct optim

warning: LFLAGS is deprecated and will be removed in a future version of Octave, use LDFLAGS instead
f951: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction: 4
libbacktrace could not find executable to open
Please submit a full bug report,
make: *** [slicotlibrary.a] Error 1
tar -xzf slicot.tar.gz
/usr/local/Cellar/octave/6.2.0_2/bin/mkoctfile-6.2.0 -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations  __control_helper_functions__.cc
mkdir sltmp
mv slicot/src/*.f ./sltmp
mv slicot/src_aux/*.f ./sltmp
cp TG04BX.fortran ./sltmp/TG04BX.f
cp TB01ZD.fortran ./sltmp/TB01ZD.f
cd sltmp; /usr/local/Cellar/octave/6.2.0_2/bin/mkoctfile-6.2.0 -c *.f

error: pkg: error running 'make' for the control package.
error: called from
    configure_make at line 110 column 9
    install at line 196 column 7
    pkg at line 568 column 9