Re: parallel 4.0.1 released

From: sshah
Subject: Re: parallel 4.0.1 released
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 14:28:01 -0500 (CDT)

Sure Olaf.

I run code that calls parrayfun(ncpu, ..) about 750 times, so the first time
effect is greatly reduced. ncpu is picked up from nproc().  I normally run
this code on my in-house mac OS machines to test out integrity of changes
after any updates to octave and its packages. I also run this to test out
Amazon AWS instance configurations. The underlying functions that run in
parallel use relatively low memory, so the memory pressure is low.
I can also see cpu / core usage in top or Activity monitor.

Here are some numbers.

Apple M1, Big Sur,  under Rosetta2, my test code ran in about 14 seconds, in
Octave 6.2 and parallel 4.0.0.
On Apple Mac Book Pro 2017 2.3 Ghz Big Sur,, octave 6.2 and parallel 4.0.0
it runs in about 26 seconds.
On m5zn.6xlarge, ubuntu 20.04 LTS, 12 cores second Gen Cascade lake, Octave
5.2 and parallel 3.1.3, it ran in 15 seconds.
After update of parallel 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 on Apple M1 Big Sur, under Roestta2,
in Octave 6.2 it ran in 48 seconds.

However, I did not have a run just before I upgraded the parallel package on
M1.  I could downgrade parallel to 4.0.0 and retest on M1. Perhaps you can
help me through the steps.   For some reason, I have lost the link to
instructions for creating local tar ball from it so I can do a local install
from it on M1.  Can you please post those instructions?

I recall the following:
****
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/parallel octave-parallel

cd octave-parallel
make clean
make check
make dis

Then copy  tarball  from target/*.tar.gz to octave directory and pkg install
***
Is that correct?  If so, how do I get version 4.0.0 out of hg clone command?

I did try

hg revert --all -rev 333
make clean
make check
make dist

However, it gave an error

For information about changes from previous versions of the parallel
package, run 'news parallel'.

touch /Users/sunilshah/octave-parallel/target/.installation/.install_stamp
octave --no-gui --silent --norc --eval ' pkg ("local_list",
"/Users/sunilshah/octave-parallel/target/.installation/.octave_packages"); '
--eval ' pkg ("load", "parallel"); ' --eval ' args = {"inst"}; args(cellfun
(@ (x) isempty (a = stat (x)) || ! S_ISDIR (a.mode), args)) = []; if
(isempty (args)) error ("no \"inst\" or \"src\" directory"); exit (1); else
cellfun(@runtests, args); endif '
error: parse error:

  invalid use of operator = in anonymous function

>>> pkg ("load", "parallel");   args = {"inst"}; args(cellfun (@ (x) isempty
>>> (a = stat (x)) || ! S_ISDIR (a.mode), args)) = []; if (isempty (args))
>>> error ("no \"inst\" or \"src\" directory"); exit (1); else
>>> cellfun(@runtests, args); endif

^

make: *** [check] Error 1

It did generate target/parallel-4.0.0.tar.gz.  However, when installed in
octave (after uninstalling 4.0.1), it generated parallel-4.0.1 instead, with
no change in speed.

Thanks.