Re: clearing oct files

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: clearing oct files
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 13:29:32 -0600 (CST)

David L wrote
> Hi,
>
> I've just started playing with integrating some C/C++ tools with octave
> using oct files. I was wondering if it's possible to have octave pick up a
> recompiled .oct file without restarting octave. I've seen different
> behavior when trying to do this including a crash like the one in the
> closed bug report here:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34861
>
> Eg:
> warning: library /tmp/foo.oct not reloaded due to existing references
> fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> If I remove the .oct file and call it, it says it's undefined and doesn't
> crash. If I then copy the new one, it doesn't crash, but it also doesn't
> pick up the changes until I exit octave and restart. Is that old bug
> really
> fixed? I'm using 6.2.0.
>
> Thanks,
>
>         David
>
> On a related topic, if the .oct file is a symbolic link and you clear the
> function, it behaves just as if the .oct file didn't change when the
> destination of the symlink changes.

I may misunderstand your post, but (at least on Windows) it's required to
clear the function(s) defined in the .oct file ("clear <function name>" or
simply "clear -f") before the .oct file can be removed at all. After that,
Octave neatly picks up the changed functions in the new .oct file upon
calling them.

Philip