Hardware to run Octave

From: Jose Ramom Flores das Seixas
Subject: Hardware to run Octave
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 16:46:50 +0100

Hi

As part of a research project, I wrote a program that takes about 17 hours to produce the result, using only one of the processor cores. I tried to use the parallel package, but without success.

Since the amount of time it takes to see the results is so long, the process of checking and correcting errors is very slow, not to mention that in my office the power goes out every now and then, wasting hours spent on calculations.

My current computer will soon be 10 years old, and I was thinking of buying a new one. Its CPU is an Intel i52500K @ 3.30 GHz with 4 cores and 4 threads.

One of the goals I have for the new PC is for it to run Octave nicely.  Previously processors increased their power by, among other things, increasing the processor speed. But for a number of years now, the speed of new processors has not increased, and other methods have been used to improve them, such as using more cores.

So I'd like to read your opinions on which hardware would be more suitable for running octave.

Surely yours

Ramom