Re: Help with problems with symbolic package

From: dariobc
Subject: Re: Help with problems with symbolic package
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 17:45:16 +0000

So, at least I can work with the real variable, but I have to plot
functions and so... Do you know how to solve this? And, about the
SyntaxWarning, AFAIK, in Python 'a is b' is like the identity
comparison... I think all the lines were it showed a warning would
return false, as long as and object just created for the comparison
and one stored as a variable are obviously not the same. But that
might be a Python problem. I will check on my own, but please tell me
if you know how to make the functions like 'fplot(symfun(syms))' work.

However, thanks a million for solving my first problem!

Well, I've corrected those errors in 'plot.py', and it seems they weren't crucial, because it continues having the same problem. I've checked for some syntax errors in the function, varying throw the different options that MatLab would give but that's neither the problem (it would be weird if so... It makes no sense that a syntax error for missing arguments gives that kind of exception 'isalnum'):

<--beggining of code-->

octave:1> pkg load symbolic
octave:2> syms x real
Symbolic pkg v2.9.0: /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mpmath/ctx_mp_python.py:892: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if other is 0:
/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mpmath/ctx_mp_python.py:986: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if other is 0:
/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sympy/solvers/diophantine.py:3186: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if feasible is 1:  # it's prime and k == 2
/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mpmath/ctx_mp_python.py:892: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if other is 0:
/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mpmath/ctx_mp_python.py:986: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if other is 0:
/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sympy/solvers/diophantine.py:3186: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if feasible is 1:  # it's prime and k == 2
Python communication link active, SymPy v1.4.
octave:3> f(x)=x^2
f(x) = (symfun)

   2

octave:4> fplot(f)
error: isalnum: not defined for class
error: called from
    fplot at line 108 column 3
octave:5> fplot(f(x))
error: isalnum: not defined for class
error: called from
    fplot at line 108 column 3
octave:6> fplot(f(x),x)
error: isalnum: not defined for class
error: called from
    fplot at line 108 column 3

<--end of code-->

I've realize some mail clients might consider the '>>' from the Octave GUI line as an answer or cite, so I've did it through the CLI this time.
Please, any idea is welcome!

Happy hacking!
Darío