Help with problems with symbolic package

From: dariobc
Subject: Help with problems with symbolic package
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 13:24:25 +0000

Hello, I recently installed Octave and I need to use the symbolic package. I downloaded it from the sourceforge of Octave, but I've had some problems when I started using it. I have installed Python 3.9 and the last version of
the sympy module.
I load the package with 'pkg load symbolic' and there is no problem (at least it is correctly installed), but when I try to do anything... let´s say define a real variable like 'syms x real' I get some errors. The first one was a bit silly, related to the environment variable for python (it is 'python3' default but in my case is 'python'). I changed it so Octave could start running the
package, but then I get some other errors I can't solve:

<--beginning of code-->

octave:1> pkg load symbolic
octave:2> syms x real
Symbolic pkg v2.9.0: C:\Users\darma\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\sympy\__init__.py:672: SymPyDeprecationWarning:

importing sympy.core.compatibility with 'from sympy import *' has been
deprecated since SymPy 1.6. Use import sympy.core.compatibility
instead. See https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/18245 for more
info.

  self.Warn(
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<stdin>", line 12, in octoutput_drv
  File "<stdin>", line 54, in octoutput
  File "<stdin>", line 55, in octoutput
File "C:\Users\darma\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\sympy\__init__.py", line 677, in __getattr__
    return getattr(self.mod, name)
AttributeError: module 'sympy.core.compatibility' has no attribute 'integer_types' Waiting...............warning: readblock: timeout of 30 exceeded, breaking out
warning: called from
    readblock at line 101 column 7
    python_ipc_popen2 at line 99 column 16
    python_ipc_driver at line 62 column 15
    pycall_sympy__ at line 163 column 11
    valid_sym_assumptions at line 38 column 10
    assumptions at line 82 column 7
    syms at line 97 column 13
no output so far

error: ipc_popen2: something wrong? timed out starting python
error: called from
    python_ipc_popen2 at line 101 column 7
    python_ipc_driver at line 62 column 15
    pycall_sympy__ at line 163 column 11
    valid_sym_assumptions at line 38 column 10
    assumptions at line 82 column 7
    syms at line 97 column 13

<--end of code-->

I really need it to avoid using MatLab at university. I convinced the
teacher to let me use Octave instead of that horrible proprietary
software, but I am unable to use the free program. Please help soon!
(As you will notify, the computer is using Windows, but I can change
that. However, it is and error related to python and not the OS.)

Happy hacking!
Darío