Re: Opening Octave through command prompt

From: Ian McCallion
Subject: Re: Opening Octave through command prompt
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 11:12:33 +0100

On Saturday, 25 April 2020, Adrg01 <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello
I am a windows user of Octave. I would like to know how to open octave through cmd window as that makes it easier to have open octave cli in whatever directory I want to without changing it through the octave shell.
Articles available online mostly have solutions for Linux shell.

I also can't find a particular file for it (as the shortcut to Octave-cli calls for two files wscript and octave.vbs), so adding a folder to the PATH does not seem to be one of the solutions.

Assuming you want to launch your Octaves from icons on the desktop or elsewhere you can do the following:

1. Make copies of the desktop icon and put them where you want in the folder structure.

2. Rename the copies to something meaningful to you.

3. Edit the shortcut properties (right click on shortcut -> properties) and set the "start in" line to the appropriate folder location.

Clicking the shortcut will now do as you desire.

Regarding the files you can't find, wscript is part of Windows (it's one of the scripting engines), and octave.vbs is in the root of the octave install folder.

Cheers Ian