Re: Is double precision for floating point calculation the default?

From: José Abílio Matos
Subject: Re: Is double precision for floating point calculation the default?
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 12:54:14 +0000

On Saturday, 21 March 2020 12.33.24 WET ttonon wrote:

> >> pi

> ans = 3.1415926535897932?

See the help for format.

>> pi

ans = 3.1416

>> format long

>> pi

ans = 3.141592653589793

> Also a figure like 2.2204e-16 is accurate only to 2.e-16. Correct? (Just

> want to be sure.)

Nope.

The value that you mention is the separation between the value represented and the next value represented by floating point representation.

>> eps

ans = 2.220446049250313e-16

All those digits are significant. Simplifying we can say basically that we have ~16 digits for each floating point number (that is a simplified but mostly accurate picture).

--

José Matos