Re: Octave Crashes During Normal Use

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Octave Crashes During Normal Use
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 16:19:39 +0100

Am 17. März 2020 um 15:29 Uhr schrieb "Henri Morin":
> Hello,
>
> I am a new Octave user and I just installed version 5.2.0 on my Windows 10
> machine (haven't updated it yet to version 1909). I am using it just like I
> would my python environment but it keeps crashing, without warning. I don't
> get a windows message saying something like "octave not responding" like I
> would for python crashes. This happens when I am running a script or when I
> am using the command window. The mouse just turns into the wait cursor and
> then it crashes, so I am not sure what the cause is.
>
> Any ideas? I have no idea how to debug this and its getting frustrating with
> the frequency of crashes considering its a new install and I wouldn't want to
> lose progress on something important later on.

Octave comes with an msys environment. You could start a command shell by
running "cmdshell.bat" in the directory where Octave is installed. Run "gdb"
and attach it to the running Octave (via its PID - "12345" in the snippet
below):
gdb

(gdb) attach 12345
(gbd) c

... continue working in Octave and try to reproduce the crash. Once it crashes,
get the backtrace from there:
(gdb) bt

I hope this helps finding what is going wrong.

Markus