Re: CPU time, Octave vs MATLAB

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: CPU time, Octave vs MATLAB
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 03:01:39 +0900

On 3/11/20 12:42 AM, Henk Borsje wrote:
> I find that Octave can be 10 – 20 % slower than ML.  One significant
> exception I found to be the svd.  The default processing in Octave is
> rather slower than ML, especially when the matrix gets large.  There is
> a thread about this not that long ago.
>
> Henk Borsje

Did you read my answer in this thread [1]?  You can easily get the same
speed as Matlab, when you change the svd_driver [2] as Matlab does.
However this comes at the price of numerical stability, that Octave is
not willing to take by default, as Matlab does.

Kai

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2020-01/msg00148.html
[2] https://octave.org/doc/v5.2.0/XREFsvd_005fdriver.html