Re: Constants in functions?

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Constants in functions?
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 06:52:05 +0900

On 3/7/20 7:13 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

>>> An ugly (because IIRC Octave doesn't have nested functions) way:
>>>
>>> function retval = TWO()
>>>
>>>   retval = 2;
>>>
>>> endfunction
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>>> The above function will return 2. You can similarly return matrix, row o
>>> column vector, etc.
>>>

>>> --Sergei.
>>>

>> Dear Allen,
>>
>> Your code seems fine to me.  Using "persistent" [1] avoids the variables
>> to be redefined each time the function is invoked.  And if you do not
>> change it's value, it is "constant".  So what it is exactly you are
>> worried about?
>
> If it's supposed to not change Octave will make complaint in case of a
> misstake. It is very common in other programming languages and if there is
> compiler it is usually able to figure this already before program is run.

>> Neither Octave nor Matlab have a concept of C++ "const" variables.  Only
>> within classdef classes you can define constant properties [4].  But the
>> overhead may not be justified.
>
> Consider this a missing feature though it would break compability with
> Matlab. Then value is not supposed to change I usually always make it a
> constant and consider it a good programming practice.
>

> Nicklas Karlsson

Please keep the mailing list in the CC so others can benefit from our
conversation.

You can file a bug report about this.  But as it is incompatible with
Matlab and the interpreter currently does not benefit from a constant
declaration, I do not think many people are keen to work on this extension.

Workarounds to avoid mistakes are discussed in this thread.

HTH,
Kai