Re: mkoctfile issues

From: Axel Coulon
Subject: Re: mkoctfile issues
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 15:46:51 +0100

Le mar. 3 mars 2020 à 15:26, Kai Torben Ohlhus <address@hidden> a écrit :

> On 3/3/20 10:03 PM, Axel Coulon wrote:
> > Le mar. 3 mars 2020 à 13:36, Kai Torben Ohlhus <address@hidden
> > <mailto:address@hidden>> a écrit :
> >
> >     On 3/3/20 8:19 PM, Axel Coulon wrote:
> >     > Hi, I'm currently facing some issues with compiled .oct files.
> >     Actually,
> >     > I compiled custom functions which are working perfectly on other
> >     systems
> >     > but not on mine. I got this error : undefined symbol:
> >     > _ZNK5ArrayISsE17resize_fill_valueEv
> >     >
> >     > I guess the problem is my GCC version (4.9) is different from the GCC
> >     > version used to compile Octave and mkoctfile packages. Obviously, I
> >     > cannot update GCC to a newer version.
> >     >
> >     > Any idea to solve this problem ?
> >     >
> >     > Thanks in advance,
> >     >
> >     > Axel
> >     >
> >

> >     The best strategy is to compile the oct-files on the system you want to
> >     run them.  Is there an obvious reason why not to follow this strategy?
> >     Does one of your systems not have the possibility to run "mkoctfile"?
> >
> >     More general, what is the setup of you two systems and how did you
> >     install Octave on them?
> >
> >     HTH,
> >     Kai
> >
> > My explanations wasn't probably clear sorry. The oct-files are already
> > compiled on the system I want to run them and I have installed Octave
> > 4.2.2 with apt. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.
> >
> > Here is a summary of the process I follow, on the same system :
> >
> > - Install Octave with apt (Last version available : 4.2.2)
> > - Compile the oct-files with a Makefile using GCC 4.9.3 and mkoctfile
> > - Try to use the functions but get the error message "undefined symbol"
> >
> > The compilation happens without any error/warning message.
> > Moreover, these oct-files was working on an oldest Octave version
> > (4.0.0) on the same system.
> >

> Please keep the mailing list in the CC, so others may benefit from our
> conversation as well and answer at the bottom of the email
> (bottom-posting [1]) to facilitate our conversation.
>
> Thank you for the detailed information on your systems.  Unfortunately
> oct-files, especially from older Octave versions, are linked against
> libraries of the respective Octave version.  They are not portable
> across different software versions or systems.
>
> Is it difficult to recompile those oct-files again?  This usually takes
> a few seconds once per system change.
>
> Kai
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting

The oct-files have been already recompiled, so they are correctly linked against my Octave version. As I said, these oct-files was working on the same system (Ubuntu 16.04, GCC 4.9) but with an older Octave version (4.0.0). I just have updated Octave to the 4.2.2 version and then recompiled my oct-files.

Thanks a lot for your time,

Axel