Re: Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 23:08:57 -0500

I just tested this also on a brand new Windows 10 1909/64-bit system.
Just took it out of the box today.

Octave installed without error (except for a note about missing Java).
On launch, I get the following errors:

"Could not copy help collection to temporary file. Search capabilities
may be affected. Cannot load sqlite database driver."

Clicking OK brings up another error:

"Could not setup the data required for the documentation viewer. Only
help texts in the Command Window will be available."

Basic functionality seemed to be there and I could define a couple
arrays and do a "Hello, World" test. Unfortunately, it sort of
degenerated from this point (not Octave's fault though). I tried
installing Python from the Windows store but it failed with and error.
"Code: 0x80070005" was all it said.

is the following file located on your PC, or is it missing:
(assuming you installed to C:\Octave)

C:\Octave\octave-5.2.0-w64\mingw64\bin\libsqlite3-0.dll

I get the same errors on my pc that is missing the above file.  That file is missing on mine because currently the libsqlite3-0.dll is being misidentified as a malware/trogan file by a number of antivirus software, and my McAfee deleted it. I'd be surprised that your security software would delete or quarantine the file without a notice, though.  Anyway, see:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/e1656cdb03908796a9c90eb7409ca44f8e859ab73f44a498cadc68c00a3b5ff8/detection

and recent discussions:

https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/McAfee-whitelist-request-tp4695838.html
https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/trojan-warning-tp4695742.html

while we are trying to get companies to whitelist the program, it's a manual request process we have little to no control over. In my case reverting back to v5.1.0 worked had no problem.  Actually, the problem is with v 5.2.0_1.  5.2.0 gives me no problem.

But you get the same issue with 5.1.0?