Re: Octave unable to find python when using symbolic toolbox

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave unable to find python when using symbolic toolbox
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 11:12:48 -0800

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 19:18:24 -0500, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> That said, I almost exclusively use a python virtualenv with my
> environment set as follows:
>
>     octave:1> getenv("PATH")
>     ans = /home/kwan/bin/python_venv/p36/bin:/app/bin:/usr/bin:/appjre/bin
>     octave:2> getenv("PYTHON")
>     ans = python3.6
>
> With Snaps I was not successful in getting any Octave versions to work
> with the symbolic package.

I'm interested in hearing more about this, would you mind reporting an
issue (https://github.com/octave-snap/octave-snap/issues) so we can dig
into this and see if there's something we can improve?

> With Flatpak, I was more successful but required some "flatpak
> override env=PATH=xxxx org.octave.Octave" to work with my virtualenv.

Makes sense. You can also setenv("PATH", ...) in your startup script.

> If the output could show which python was loaded that would be helpful to me.

It does show the Python version, but not the full file name of the
interpreter, if that's what you mean. If you can think of ways to make
the diagnose command more helpful, can you file an issue
(https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/issues) about that as well?

Thanks,

--
mike