Re: Octave unable to find python when using symbolic toolbox

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave unable to find python when using symbolic toolbox
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 15:49:45 -0800

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 17:38:02 -0600, Vikram Garg wrote:
> Indeed I did install octave using flatpak. Setting the environment variable
> to python 3 did the trick.
>
> setenv PYTHON python3
> sympref reset
>
> Thank you for the prompt and helpful responses.

Can you please help us make this kind of problem easier to diagnose and
fix for users like yourself?

Is there something that we can do in Octave or in the "sympref diagnose"
command that would help make it clear that "python3.6" isn't available,
and that you could try setting PYTHON to "python3" or "python3.7"?

For example, would it help if "sympref diagnose" automatically found all
"python*" programs on PATH and showed you a list to choose from? Any
other ideas?

Thanks,

--
mike