subplot errors in 5.2.0

From: Kwan Lowe
Subject: subplot errors in 5.2.0
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 09:49:18 -0500

Hello all:
   (Relatively) New user to the forums here. I've been lurking and
reading and learning.

   I'm having some issues running the subplot() command in Octave
5.2.0. I am running a couple simple examples from
(https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.0/Multiple-Plots-on-One-Page.html).

On Octave 5.1.0, it works correctly. I can plot and label multiple
graphs without issue.

subplot (2, 1, 1)
fplot (@sin, [-10, 10]);
subplot (2, 1, 2)
fplot (@cos, [-10, 10]);

On 5.2.0, I am getting the following error:

>> subplot(2,1,1)
warning: division by zero
warning: called from
    subplot>subplot_position at line 337 column 15
    subplot at line 218 column 23
warning: division by zero
warning: called from
    subplot>subplot_position at line 338 column 15
    subplot at line 218 column 23
error: set: "position" must be finite
error: called from
    subplot>subplot_position at line 344 column 3
    subplot at line 218 column 23

There are some slight differences in my environment in both, which I
have tried to minimize. Both are using the same Python virtualenv
which I specify with a  "setenv PATH
/path/to/python_venv/bin:/home/kl/bin:/usr/bin" and "setenv PYTHON
python3". I have used both the 5.2.0 Snap  and Flatpak on Ubuntu/Linux
Mint and RHEL8 and they all exhibit the same issue.  Octave 5.1.0 in
these same environments are working.

Is there anyplace else I should look to troubleshoot this further?
5.2.0 is not critical at the moment, but I am in the process of moving
some Matlab scripts over and I understand it has some compatibility
improvements.

Thanks and best regards..
Kwan