Re: Re: trojan warning!

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Re: trojan warning!
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:02:11 -0500

On 2/20/20 9:31 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
i just downloaded the 64bit windows 7z version, extracted libsqlite3-0.dll, did a local scan with Windows Defender (passed) and uploaded to virustotal. got the following:
this version with v5.2.0-1:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/e1656cdb03908796a9c90eb7409ca44f8e859ab73f44a498cadc68c00a3b5ff8/detection

shows 11 of the 72 engines are set off by this file, mcafee included.

checking the v5.1.0 file from the exe installer, it shows up clean
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/4792812c498d011b5e1914bf67a320c409fe3de1e70230a7a95bcf45bba9f4b7/detection

so not sure what about 5.2.0 is setting off the false positives.  the files linked above by the original poster all set off one scanner i never heard of out of the 72 it tests.

I gpg signed the files that I uploaded to ftp.gnu.org. The signatures that I generated and uploaded are also included in the attached file. These files have been on my system since I created them. I did not download them from ftp.gnu.org or any mirror. Do they still match the ones on ftp.gnu.org and the mirrors? If not, we have a problem. But if they do match, as I expect they do, then using those signatures, does gpg --verify show any problems for the files downloaded from ftp.gnu.org or any of the mirrors? If so, then the files on the server were probably not hacked.

I don't know why virus detection software is reporting a problem with the sqlite DLL. I built the binary installers and zip files using mxe-octave. You can do the same if you want to verify. The sqlite package was built from sources. Logs of the builds (one for each of the w32, w64, and w64-64 Windows binary versions of Octave) are included in the attached file.

If somehow there is a real problem with that DLL, then please help us fix it. Otherwise, I hope we can get the virus detection software to stop reporting this file as a problem.

jwe