Re: Octave 5.2 io package

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2 io package
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 20:41:42 +0100

Hi Steph,

Please keep the mailing list in cc: or to:

The message is deliberately shown; there used to be, and in selected cases there still are, good reasons for emitting it. But admittedly these days the majority of users just use the built-in OCT interface which is fairly OK and fast for .xlsx, painfully slow for .ods, and simply never bother or don't know about e.g., Java-based spreadsheet I/O interfaces that may work (sometimes much) better for them.

Your point is taken; you're not the first one to bring this up either. I have some ideas on how to change it but ATM I'm working on getting io-2.6.0 released and due to other priorities I'm afraid I'll have to postpone this issue for a next release.

Thanks

Philip

address@hidden wrote:
Thank you very much Philip.

<snip netiquette>

My routines read several Excel data files, my question is, can the message be
suppressed? The message only show up once per session, you are correct. It just
tells me something that I know already.

Thanks again for your time

Steph