Re: Octave should create a forum

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Octave should create a forum
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 13:45:46 +0200

On 30/12/2019 23:27, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
And I’m curious, is there a FSF-compliant forum out there worth using?

Irrelevant - especially taking into account that GPL is the most oppressive and hypocritical "free" license out there. I.e. the main consideration should be user convenience - not FSF dogma.

For that matter, Julia is a much better language released under real free MIT license. The long term goal should be to forget about Matlab/Octave language as real nightmare. The real advantages of Julia is that when desired it can be strictly typed (this is how I develop my code), that it's a fully fledged functional language when desired and that "C" interface is part of the language, i.e. functions written in "C" can be called directly from the language.

Also, because of MIT license (opposed to GPL) CUDA packages are part of Julia universe: https://devblogs.nvidia.com/gpu-computing-julia-programming-language/ -> https://github.com/JuliaGPU -> https://github.com/JuliaGPU/CUDA.jl .

I have decided to develop my own new scientific calculations code in Julia. Sometimes a package liked a one to be found in Octave universe is missing, but other than that it's pleasant experience. And Matlab/Octave code can be pretty easily ported to Julia.

--Sergei