Re: Accessing Removable-Media

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Accessing Removable-Media
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 23:12:07 -0800

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 14:44:59 -0700, David Carter wrote:
> The issue I am having is my inability to access the /media directory
> from Octave. I can access the directory from ubuntu and ultimately get
> to a USB flash drive without difficulty, but whenever I cd to /media
> in Octave, I get a “Permission Denied” message.
>
> I am a ubuntu novice, but it appears to me that the snap that
> installed Octave does not include the “removable-media” interface, and
> thus is preventing me from accessing the /media directory. The Octave
> snap interfaces are defined in /snap/octave/10/meta/snap.yaml which is
> mounted as “Read Only” and try as I might, I am unable to edit the
> file. I have tried all the usual remedies, sudo, chmod, chown, mount,
> etc.
>
> Any guidance or insight in how to edit snap.yaml, or another solution
> on how I can access my USB flash drive from inside Octave would be
> greatly appreciated.

I suspect you're probably right about the removable-media interface. It
works for me on Debian without that interface connected, but that's
possibly a feature of the way confinement is implemented. Many of the
restrictions are only effective on Ubuntu.

If you think it would be useful to have the removable-media interface
added to Octave, please open an issue on the octave-snap project
(https://github.com/octave-snap/octave-snap/issues). It would be best if
you are able to demonstrate that it doesn't work as is, and does work if
you run in devmode.

--
mike