Re: Accessing Removable-Media

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Accessing Removable-Media
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 00:50:21 +0200

On 27/12/2019 23:44, David Carter wrote:

Greetings All,

Please forgive me if this is not the appropriate forum for this question.

I have recently replaced the Chrome OS in my Acer Chromebook 14 with ubuntu version 18.04.3. After the ubuntu install, I used the ubuntu software application to install Octave version 5.1.0 via the Snapstore. Octave installed and runs without a problem.

The issue I am having is my inability to access the /media directory from Octave. I can access the directory from ubuntu and ultimately get to a USB flash drive without difficulty, but whenever I cd to /media in Octave, I get a “Permission Denied” message.

I am a ubuntu novice, but it appears to me that the snap that installed Octave does not include the “removable-media” interface, and thus is preventing me from accessing the /media directory. The Octave snap interfaces are defined in /snap/octave/10/meta/snap.yaml which is mounted as “Read Only” and try as I might, I am unable to edit the file. I have tried all the usual remedies, sudo, chmod, chown, mount, etc.

Any guidance or insight in how to edit snap.yaml, or another solution on how I can access my USB flash drive from inside Octave would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much for the help.

David…

Why do you need to do 'cd /media' ?

If you want to access removable media, you need to perform operations on /media/the/rest/of/the/path/to/media.

On my box an example of real path when removable media is present is  /media/sergei/9016-4EF8 .

--Sergei.