Re: pause(.01) gives a mean pause of 0.0102 and not 0.0100 seconds

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: pause(.01) gives a mean pause of 0.0102 and not 0.0100 seconds
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 17:59:53 -0400

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 5:27 PM GoSim <address@hidden> wrote:

> So why is pause() a little bit slow? Why did you implement it like this?

Octave is mathematical software "featuring a high-level programming
language, primarily intended for numerical computations."  It is not a
real time controller.  It's primary intent is not low level real-time
hardware control.  It is mainly intended to be a Matlab-compatible
programming language.  Even multi-million dollar matlab does not
guarantee real-time precision from it's software.  see:

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/97354-does-the-data-acquisition-toolbox-support-real-time-closed-loop-control

Matlab has implemented a much more precise 'timer' class of timing
objects. Octave has not yet done so, (mainly i think because we were
awaiting a full classdef implementation), so we still use less precise
tic/toc.  EVEN SO, Matlab in several locations in its documentation,
even with these timer objects, states:  "A hard real-time constraint
cannot be guaranteed in MATLAB".

As others have said - it is a high level interpreted language.  if you
need realtime control, you'll need a language designed for such
control.