Re: Install Octave 32-bits on a 64-bits OS

From: Axel Coulon
Subject: Re: Install Octave 32-bits on a 64-bits OS
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 10:17:20 +0200

Hello, thank you for your answer. I will check the two ways, it will probably resolve my problem.
Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Axel

Le mar. 15 oct. 2019 à 21:20, Mike Miller <address@hidden> a écrit :
On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 11:53:20 +0200, Axel Coulon wrote:
> I am working on a 64-bits Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and I need to install the Octave
> 32-bits version to work with some personal libraries (which are 32-bits).
> Is it possible ? I have been trying to build directly the 32-bits version
> but I need the dependencies in 32-bits version. Obviously, some 32-bits
> dependencies can't be installed on a 64-bits OS (e.g. like
> libqscintilla2-12v5 <https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libqscintilla2-12v5>).
> I did not find any similar topic on the web, so if you have any good idea
> do not hesitate to share it with me.

In my opinion, the easiest way to do this on a Debian or Ubuntu based
system is to use debootstrap. This will create a 32-bit Ubuntu chroot
with all dependencies pulled in by apt.

    sudo debootstrap --arch=i386 --include=octave xenial /opt/octave-chroot
    sudo chroot /opt/octave-chroot /usr/bin/octave

It's also very easy to install a 32-bit Octave with flatpak.

    sudo flatpak install flathub org.octave.Octave/stable/i386
    flatpak run --arch=i386 org.octave.Octave

or

    flatpak install --user org.octave.Octave/stable/i386
    flatpak run --arch=i386 org.octave.Octave

Either way you'll have to arrange for your personal libraries to be made
available in the chroot or container environment.

--
mike