Re: conhost.exe - System Error: Octave Error or OS error?

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: conhost.exe - System Error: Octave Error or OS error?
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 14:13:35 -0500 (CDT)

TimotheusNemitz wrote
> Hello,
> I'm on a Win10 machine and I use the 64-bit Octave 5.1.0 with GUI. Since I
> don't have root access on this machine, I extracted and use the
> zip-Version.
> Since some time, when working with Octave I get the following popup error
> message at  seemingly random occasions:
> Popup title:
> "conhost.exe - System Error"
> Popup text: "The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in
> this
> application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain
> control of this application."
> A screenshot of the error message is attached[1].
>
> When the error occurs I can still modify the content of the editor but I
> cannot modify and get any new output in the command window. The only
> solution I found so far is to close and restart the Octave GUI.
>
> Any idea how to get rid or workaround this problem would be very helpful.

No clear-cut solution, just an observation.

conhost.exe it the windows cmd.exe service on which the Octave terminal on
Windows systems is based.
So that explains your problems with the Octave terminal.

Does cmd.exe work on your system or aren't you allowed to run it?
Maybe your IT dept introduced a new policy that causes these problems. IT
depts. usually do such things silently. So you could ask around there.

If not an IT dept. issue it could be due to Windows or Octave. In the latter
case, the best option might be to just reinstall Octave.
In the former case, try the Windows SFC procedure, search the web on how to
do that. But as it looks like your system is managed by other people I
suppose it isn't Windows' fault but due to what I wrote above.

Philip

Philip