Re: Matlab equivalents in Octave

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Matlab equivalents in Octave
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 12:15:15 -0500

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 10:16 AM Gholam Reza Ahmadi <address@hidden> wrote:

Guys,

I am new to Octave so be gentle!

Is there any equivalent for these functionalities in Octave compared to Matlab ?

Matlab                    OCTAVE

normalize                 ?

histcounts                 ?

Matlab's normalize function appears to be a fairly recent addition (2018a) and Octave does not yet have a compatible version.  We do have a similarly-named 'normalize' function in the ltfat (large time frequency analysis toolkit), but they appear to do quite different things.

if you are willing and able to contribute code to help implement this missing functions it would be appreciated. I've created Missing function bug report and code could be added there.

histcounts was introduced to matlab a bit earlier (2014) as a revised version of histc.  Octave has histc but a compatible histcounts is a work in progress. there is a proposed function added to the patch, but it requires compilation.  perhaps you can use histc for the time being?

Also in Matlab you could run only a section of the program that is limited by %% sign, see below:

It appears that sections are implemented the same way:

is it not working for you?